Back to Reality
As we get back into the speed of everyday life it is important to prioritize our mental health. Quarantine was a great time to reflect and focus on one’s self. This is why it is of the utmost importance to bring good self-care habits back into our daily lives. Whether you’re going to be in the office or you’re going back to school make sure you are prioritizing yourself. I know this is easier said than done, but in reality, our lives project stressful situations. It is completely valid to take a mental health day when overwhelming feelings or anxiety are consuming you. Treat a mental health day just like a sick day. Even if you are not physically ill, emotions and feelings can create an internal battle that feels equivalent. Today I am happy to share some awesome tips about taking a ‘self-care day!
What is a Mental Health Day?
For the purpose of this blog and the tips I would like to share with you it is important that we all think of the same definition when it comes to a Mental Health Day. According to Merriam-Webster, a Mental Health Day is “a day that an employee takes off from work in order to relieve stress or renew vitality.”
5 Tips About Taking a Mental Health Day
When you decide to take a self-care day it is important to remember its value. I am excited to share these trusted tips about different ways you can spend your time during these important days.
- Get a Good Night’s Rest
- This first tip is key to having the most successful mental health day. Sleeping the recommended 8-10 hours will allow you to feel completely re-energized and ready to conquer the day. Although you might not choose to be very active throughout the day, it is important to feel well-rested in order to mentally feel better.
- Write Down Your Goals for the Day
- In taking a day off from work or school, it is important to want to accomplish different goals. When you set up a plan for the day you will feel much more balanced and in control. When you successfully complete different goals you should treat yourself with a Netflix episode, treat, or a hobby you like to do.
- Relaxation is Key
- If you are not the type that is plan-oriented do not worry! A mental health day can mean binge-watching a TV show all day long or taking a walk in nature. Whatever it is you feel at peace doing, I encourage you to do that. Different professionals recommended the following activities for mental health days: a yoga class, massage, swimming laps at the gym, reading a good book, and meditating.
- Unplug From Your Stressors
- If you are taking this day to take a break from school or work, you should make it a priority to completely unplug from those stressors. Don’t answer work emails or focus on those entities whatsoever. This day is about you so definitely make it a goal to fully relax.
- Make Self-Care a Priority
- On your mental health day, it is important to take care of yourself. Make sure you eat three nutritious meals and set aside some time to do something for yourself. Whether that’s a face mask or napping for a few hours this time is vital in helping your mental health state.
Taking a mental health day can completely change your mindset for the future. It is important to remember that your mental health is just as important as your physical health. When you have poor mental health it is very hard to function. Taking a mental health day can completely re-set your mood and can have extremely positive outcomes. Choose a mental health day next time you feel like your life is falling apart and remember to be kind to yourself!
Don’t forget to check out my most recent blog post on cyberbullying prevention!