You Are in Control
I know this is a mental health blog and physical health is different, but it is proven that physical health has an effect on mental health. In a world where most things are out of our hands, I am happy to inform you that you are in control of your physical health. We all individually decide what to fuel our bodies with. Exercising, getting a good night’s sleep, and eating the right way can improve your mental health. It all starts with you and what you want from yourself. If you are unhappy because you have gained weight you are able to make the decision to lose the weight. With effort and drive, you can definitely build the mental health confidence you never had.
Good Physical Health
For the purpose of this blog I want us all to have the same understanding of ‘good physical health.’ According to Medical News Today, “A person who has good physical health is likely to have bodily functions and processes working at their peak. This is not only due not only to an absence of disease. Regular exercise, balanced nutrition, and adequate rest all contribute to good health.”
5 Tips to Stay Healthy
Good health leads to happiness!
- Stay Active
- Staying active is the key to maintaining good physical health. When I refer to staying active I don’t mean going to the gym every day for 2 hours. If that’s your thing, go you, but there are many other ways to stay active that aren’t so vigorous. From nature walks to swimming or playing a sport there are definitely fun ways to stay physically fit. Find something that appeals to you and stick with it! By doing so you are giving yourself an outlet to destress and create a better mental headspace.
- Eat Healthily
- Eating the right way is all about a well-balanced diet and portion control. Over-eating is very common among humans. In order to have good health, it is important to consume nutritious foods. You don’t need to cut out all the junk food from your life, but I recommend consuming small amounts. If you are making s’mores with friends have 1 or 2 rather than 5. Eating the right way can make a large difference in your overall health.
- Get a Good Night’s Sleep
- Getting 8 hours of sleep is optimal for good physical health. Letting your body rest for that amount of time allows a period for you to re-energize. Poor sleep can cause overeating, exhaustion, poor mental health, and weight gain. I urge you to try and sleep 8 hours a night, you will feel like a new person.
- Stay Hydrated
- This tip seems silly, but in reality, drinking water is extremely important for humans to function. Staying hydrated keeps you alive. There is not an exact amount of water that you should be drinking a day, but make sure you drink enough so you’re never quenching thirst.
- Don’t Be Lazy
- When you are given the option to take the stairs or the elevator, take the stairs. These extra steps can easily make or break good physical health. Try to be as active as you can and get creative! Forget ordering food, motivate yourself by walking to go get it. Motivation comes easier when we are not being lazy.
At the end of the day, you need to remind yourself that you are in control of your own body. Practicing good physical health habits will only lead to better mental health. Find something active you love to do and set goals. Setting goals will allow you to see your physical health flourish. A healthy person is a happy person.
Don’t forget to check out one of my most recent blogs about Self-Love! https://soul-dogs-inc.org/mental-health-tips-how-to-love-yourself/